July 16, 2007

Calling All Nursing Mothers





Today Gwen and I went to the Alamogordo zoo. It is only $2.20 to enter and it's so nice to expose her to the sounds and sights. We walked around with friends looking at the animals and then we played on the blanket too.

Also, I want to share some breast feeding information. A couple of nursing mothers in town are drinking a tea called "Mothers Milk" to increase their milk production. One of them is doing it because she wants to stock up her freezer for the future use of mixing it with baby cereal. Other women are simply not producing as much as they wish to. I am interested in it too, so I went to the Nature's Pantry store in town. They don't have the tea, but they do have Fenugreek which they recommended.

Before I purchase it, I wanted to research a little more. It works well, but you only use it for 5-7 days. Then, once your body is use to producing an increased amount, you don't have to take it anymore. In fact if you do take it past that point, you may subject your baby to colic, an upset stomach or diarreah. Here's a link that gets into more depth:http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/herbs.html.

I also called the lactation consultant at the hospital where we had Gwen. She confirmed that it is a safe product and gave me the advice to also "power pump" on the side that is not producing much for me. That is using your pump for an hour the same time every day for a while (I suppose until you notice a difference) 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off for an hour. That stimulates it to get you "flowing" like the other side. Well, I thought some mothers that are nursing and read this blog might appreciate the info.

Gwen and I also took some pictures when we were sitting out front of our house......




4 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Build and Create said...

Hey Kim! (I'ts Beth Dolton) Gwen is getting so big and SO cute! It seems like you are having a lot of fun being a mom. I also noticed that she really looks like Adam. Hope all is well- Dan and I have a blogspot now- DBDolton@blogspot.com.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard that the tea "waters" down your milk and the baby doesn't get as much nutrients.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Morgan Mann said...

I was just thinking I could see a lot of Adam in Gwen too, it's either the nose, or the eyebrows, I can't decide which. But she definately has your ability to do the "eyebrow furrow" that you can do Kim... so maybe it's Adam's nose. A good combo of you both, either way. ;)

I've also heard that raspberry tea helps increase your milk production. I did that when I first started up with the breastfeeding and noticed a difference, plus it tastes good for Mom too. Let us know what you choose to do and how it goes.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Gwen is SO cute! I have not forgotten about you- I will call you back soon! Hopefully tomorrow!

Jill (:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home