January 27, 2007

Awards Banquet

January 26th was the awards banquet of the 46th Test Group Adam is part of at Hollowman Air Force Base. He was in charge of coordinating it all. I believe he volunteered. Wow!!!! I realized how large of a task this was when the event finally took place. Now the nights of working until 10pm made perfect sense.

There were about 200 people there and quite a few "big names/ high ranked" military people. Adam delegated everything very well and ended up preforming the tasks he didn't want messed up himself. I think we all know how that feels. Sometimes it's easier doing it yourself rather than explaining what's in your mind.

One of the delegations was to me. I was happy to be in charge of the table decorations. Another gal, Robin McMacken, and I set up the table decorations, shopped for the needed accessories, and were in charge of the take down that had to happen after the event was over last night. Talk about a long day and a late night for a pregnant gal. Robin made the head tables' flower arrangements with red roses and extra filler flowers. I also brought white lights for the artificial trees and supervised the cake making/ cutting. We had many compliments on a job well done. I didn't think much of it, but it must have beaten the same-old same-old in a special way.

I've attached some good pictures of this below. Also, Adam's commander won the commander's trophy. It was a fun night, and now Adam has this under his belt. ;) One other thing is that the guest speaker was FANTASTIC. He sounded like Rodney Dangerfield and has a talent of a stand up comedian. We were laughing soooooo much. He is retired and is 75 years old aprox. He had many words of wisdom of surviving, if you will, the military life with three qualities. These are opportunity, aptitude and attitude.

Briefly, I want to tell you he spoke of opportunities coming and going. You don't wake up in the morning and say this is going to be the day- the day the opportunity of my life is coming around. No, you have to grasp it when you see it or someone else will. He spoke of the high levels of aptitude that the ballroom held. That if the military men and women in that ballroom were to all work together they could take over any business with their skills and talents. Then, he spoke so incredibly about attitude which I loved! As we know the someone can have the opportunity and the aptitude for success and to search out and complete their dreams, but without the good attitude you won't succeed. I understand that's a given, but he spoke in an uplifting way about making the most of your life. One of his examples was when you move with the AF and you have a bad attitude about the location. Give it a chance. Learn from it. One other interesting point he stated about attitude was that he wrote down the word "ATTITUDE" and then counted out the number each letter is in the alphabet. "1 20 20 9 20 21 4 5" - That totals 100. Now isn't that amazing? He added up aptitude's letter count, and it fell short of 100. That secures his point that attitude amounts to more than aptitude even though they are both important.

I went up to him at the end of the night and told him my favorite statement by Charles Swindoll about attitude. He of course knew it well and even spelled out Swindoll's last name to me while he was talking about him. He was quite a character and wonderful influence.


Yes, you can get good use out of a bride's maid dress sometimes. Good choice Anne Steinhausen. Adam was being his fun self in this one. ;)


Say Cheese


Our friends Leanne and Jeremy Shockley


Robin, my partner in decorating crime and me


Most of the spouses that are in our group. Not everyone came to the banquet, but most of these women are whom I meet with for the spouses' coffee we meet for. They are the ones that are nice enough to put on a baby shower for us.


One of the spouses made this cake. It was delicious!


Table decoration. Each table was unique.


Another table.


Yet another.


Last one. There were quite a few other tables, but this gives you an idea.

Also, I did my own hair for the evening. It was fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home